POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : creating heightfields from contour maps : creating heightfields from contour maps Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:33:24 EDT (-0400)
  creating heightfields from contour maps
From: Adrian Pederson
Date: 12 Aug 1998 02:15:51
Message: <35d12507.0@news.povray.org>
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, let me know.
I am trying to create a heightfield image and would like to
be able to do it by initially creating a contour map. I just
downloaded Leveller and while it is a nice, 5 min to learn
type program, it doesn't quite do what i would like.

What i'm trying to create is a golf course terrain. It
should have gentle rolling hills, i.e. only a small
amount of elevation change, but i'm having difficulty
getting it to look the way i want. Are there any other
good terrain modelers I should look at? I also have
Photoshop 4, and have been considering using the pen tool
to create the contours and then doing some type of gradient
fill, not sure how well it would work.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Adrian Pederson
ape### [at] mailtdsnet